Heritage Sites/Museums/Zoo

Entrance fees must be paid before entering heritage sites around Kathmandu Valley like Bhaktapur Durbar Square, Patan Durbar Square, Kathmandu Durbar Square, Bauddhanath, Swayambhunath, and Changu Narayan Temple. Likewise, entrance fees must be paid before entering Lumbini Gardens, the sanctuary of the Mayadevi Temple, the birthplace of Lord Buddha, in Lumbini, Rupandehi. Similarly, you have to pay entrance fees before touring the Central Zoo in Jawalakhel, Lalitpur, and museums in Kathmandu Valley. Entrance fees must also be paid before entering in local museums in different parts of Nepal. Your travel agent will arrange this for you with the help of your guide.

Trekkers’ Information Management Systems (TIMS)

Trekkers must acquire Trekkers’ Information Management Systems (TIMS) Card before the onset of their trek. TIMS Card has been mandatory to control illegal trekking operations and ensure the safety & security of the trekkers in general trekking areas. TIMS Card helps to store the database of trekkers recording their would-be whereabouts for the safety of tourists. Fees, passport copy, and passport size photograph are required to obtain TIMS Card from Tourist Service Center, Bhrikutimandap, and Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal (TAAN) Office in Maligaon and Government registered trekking companies in Kathmandu and Pokhara.

Each visitor who goes trekking through a trekking company must pay the US $ 10, and each free individual trekker (FIT) must pay the US $ 20 per trekking route per person per entry in equivalent to Nepali Rupees only. Part of the collection will go into maintaining the trekkers’ database and in the rescue of trekkers in need of emergency services.

For any further information on TIMS, please visit this link for more detailed and useful information relevant to your treks in Nepal:


Trekking Permits

Special trekking permits must be acquired from the Department of Immigration, Kalikasthan, Kathmandu, for trekking to areas that fall under the Restricted or controlled Zones of Nepal

The Department of Immigration located at Kalikasthan, Dillibazar, Kathmandu

(Tel: 977 – 1 – 4429659/4429660/443886/4438868)

Fax: 977 – 1 – 4433934 /4433935

Email: mail@nepalimmigration.gov.np

Web: http://www.nepalimmigration.gov.np

A trekking permit is a must to travel to controlled areas mentioned below. Permits, however, are issued only to groups. Individual trekkers will not be issued trekking permits.

Nepal’s restricted zones are mostly found in Dolpa district, the district of Mustang, Gorkha district [Manaslu region], Areas of Chhekampar and Chunchet VDC (Sirdibas-Lokpa-Chumling-Chhekampar -Nile-Chhule Area), the Mugu district, Manang district [the famous areas of Naar & Phu], Dolakha district [Gaurishankar & Lamabagar], Rasuwa district [Thuman & Timure], Humla district [famous for Rara Lakes], and Taplejung District [famous for the Kangchenjunga region of Nepal].

Please Note:

a. To get a group trekking permit, an application form with other relevant documents should be submitted through any registered trekking agency of Nepal

b. Trekking fees can be paid in Nepalese currency: Notwithstanding anything is written above, the Indian citizen can pay in Nepalese currency equivalent to US Dollars


Mountaineering royalties must be paid at the Tourism Industry Division, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, Bhrikutimandap, Kathmandu or at the Nepal Mountaineering Association at Naxal, Kathmandu, before starting on a mountaineering expedition.

National Parks/ Wildlife Reserves/ Conservations

Entry fees must be paid to enter the 20 Protected Areas in Nepal that have been divided into National Parks, Wildlife Reserves, Conservation Areas, and Hunting Reserve. One must also obtain a hunting license to hunt in the Dhorpatan Hunting Reserve. Please note that Dhorpatan is the only protected area where hunting is licensed. Your travel agent will help you and guide you should you wish to visit any National Parks and/or any Wildlife Reserves in any part of Nepal.